Front Grills

Plåt Glas krom och emblem. Moderatorer
mitch1971

Front Grills

Post by mitch1971 »

Hi,

I prefer the look of the early grills over the later model grills and would like to fit the early type of grills to my 66 Kombi. As the early grills are a different shape does anyone make the early style grills to fit the later model front section? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I've attached a pic of my current front grills.

Merry Christmas...

Mitch

123GT

Re: Front Grills

Post by 123GT »

Mitch, welcome to this forum!
You'll find answer to your question is already on this forum in text and pics. So the question now is...how good is your Swedish!? :-) We'll see if we can provide you with a link.
/sven
'67;a 123 GT objekt i djup dvala.

Länk : Svenska Volvo Amazonklubben
Länk : Mina blandade Amazonbilder
Youtubelänk : The one and only - Salt & Peppar Amazonen
mitch1971

Post by mitch1971 »

Thanks Sven,

I read this forum all the time as it's the best one but I don't speak Swedish so I translate everything with google. Apology for posting in English. Links would be really appreciated. I hope to get a pair of early grills from a guy in Scotland and will see if I can modify them to fit the later front. Has anyone done this before? I have a stretcher/shrinker machine and have good metal working skills so if possible to modify the early grills I will do this.
123GT

Post by 123GT »

:) I also really like this forum !

I belive that you modify the front to get the grills to fit in there. Here's a link ("Farosonen") describing this process or at least one way of doing it. :arrow: http://amazon.forum.bilia.se/phpbb3/vie ... 18&t=11674
I'll see if I (or someonelse will join in) with more example links. Any comments on how its done!? :)
/ sven

mitch1971

Post by mitch1971 »

Thanks for the link. He's done a nice job. The older grills fit a bit better when they are upside down but will still be a bit of work to get them to fit. I wonder if it would be easier just to make new grills? I don't want to modify my front panel and want old style grills to fit the newer front panel.
123GT

Post by 123GT »

Mitch, not sure if you're asking for opinions so you have to stop me if you're not! :-)

My concern with modifying or making new grills (apart from knowledge and skills) would be that you are creating a new custom grille look, seen never before. Not saying that it would look bad or ugly but if it was me...I would look for a replacement front to work on inorder to install the "stock" older grilles.

...oh, and by the way...never mind the English...this Amazon fever is a world wide thing that keeps us all together! :-)

Good luck and keep us posted!
/sven

mitch1971

Post by mitch1971 »

Thanks Sven,

Yes I'm interested in opinions. My idea was to do the front grill to look like the original, but it will be bigger to fit the later model front. I don't want to modify the bodywork of the car if I can. I do have a spare front section so maybe one option is to modify the spare front and swap them over. The look will be similar to the Vox Amazon grills, that has a new made grills. I like the look of it and wondered what others think? I don't want to be seen to be just copying Mattias but I like the early grill look.

Happy New Year...

Mitch