My 1962 rolling nightmare

Visa din modifierade Amazon. Moderatorer
Yankeebastard

My 1962 rolling nightmare

Post by Yankeebastard »

HI everyone I'm a American in Sweden with a 62 2 door!

Jäg kan skriva o lasa svenka men min stavning i kanske totalt fel! Bott har et tag isafall men jag i en gammal pojk med myket bil enfarenhet och svets kunskap, mekad och svetsad bilar o annat i type 25 år. Men 6 år sen jag pakad in min rygg so de har blivit ett tag senast yag har mekad o faktist jag saknar det some en fat kid loves cake!

Hope no one minds if I write in english no need for anyone else to unless you wanna!

My friend who just sold his house gave me his 62 amazon with 40,000km on it its rusty in the usual places and I am going to customize it ala lowrider style I have had one Amazon before when I lived in Sandviken I'll have to look for an old photo somewhere! many many people loved my car got rid of it years ago after an accident :cry: :cry: !!!???!!! but I still collected parts, here are the photos!

I am going for a rat rod look until I can afford a decent metal flake paint job, and or paint it myself if someone locally will let me use their shop for a day or so ( I am also lookin for some shop space in Gävle area so if anyone knows anyone or anything tell meh!)

So far we have replaced the motor with a b20b that had dual solex carbs on it I believe, it ran like crap so I threw on my renovated Weber and aluminum intake runs like a dream now no smoke at all. we tor off the very rusty front end and lucky me had a pair of all steel favorite fenders to throw on we have 2 sets of early grills orignal all red back lights etc.

Now what has to be fixed so it will pass besiktning

both inner fender supports are rotted like hell! (So so Typical) I think I can get them new for 500 stk. been googling like hell all weekend, found different prices many different places since this will be a driver not a showroom custom I am not so concerned about it being perfect as no car ever is!
both rockerpanels and inner supports and both door bottoms need to be replaced, I have good a pair of good doors to steal the bottoms off of so they will be an easy repair.

The spare tire holder is shot! also typical!

I have a 67 front end/axle that is in great shape so we are going to swap it out and replace the motor and tranny mounts also.

the break lines will be replaced as they are original also and it's time!

As far as replacing the front inner fender supports and the rockers I can do it all in a 16 hr day easy, if there is any more serious rot in the undercarriage it will be a little longer but as far as my initial inspection outside and under it was rust preventative coated everywhere and there seems to only be one hole in the front drivers side floor you can see it in the photos, of the 4+ items I didnt see much rust except surface if it hadnt sat outside for the last 2 years it would have been better but hey who cares it was free!

A few eye goodies say a peep mirror white blinkers and some slot mags or chrome smoothies and I am happy I also found solid state conversion kits for the distributor for cheap too from UK.

Now is to get say a filter mounting kit for the carb so I can use a beehive on it but that can come later first repair rust damage and Spackle Spackle Spackle!

I am going to drop the suspension and perhaps put a better any sway kit on it, I have located gas adjustable shocks from home for cheap 100 bux for all 4! Dropped springs here for 1600 SEK unless someone here has some for me!?!?! other than tons of spackel to straighten out the wrinkles in the body from its usage before me n it should look sweet with a flat gray rat rod paint job that is until I can do a 2 tone metal flake jobb on it and make an custom interior!

Me also thinks with the price of gas being outlandish I am going to run it on E85 a bigger main jet and silicone fuel lines and she should be good to go.
the grey one

Re: My 1962 rolling nightmare

Post by the grey one »

Välkommen till forumet!!! det ska bli ett nöje att följa den här tråden....ställ gärna frågor det finns MASSOR med kunskap bland forumläsarna :wink:
Duvgrå 65:a med 27000 välservade mil på mätaren(var femhundrade mil sen ny!!)
Yankeebastard

Post by Yankeebastard »

Thank you! I have peeked at the forum for years and constantly look for ideas and info on where to get cheap parts I have a very limited budget IE NONE but one makes due trades things and so on by the way I will make a list of the extra parts I have I have some good steel front fenders some doors some front ends a back axle tons of other stuff, a list will come soon as we have to empty the shop by Oct 20th, so for you on this forum that need stuff don't have money etc trades are most welcome I am actually in need of the early single line power break booster as this engine is easily pushing 120 hastar its K kammed and in excellent condition so disks vs drums is a must!
I also have another B20 B block renovated 6 years ago, a new clutch and much much more extra stuff we are moving to the States by next fall so I want to have this done asap (the car) and have enough spares to keep it going for some time, it will be the only Amazon in my part of the country literally the only one!
A list and some photos will follow soon and be posted as a link here to the appropriate thread on this forum!
Yankeebastard

Post by Yankeebastard »

Curious if anyone knows where I might get my hands on a Judson supercharger I am tempted to get one and possibly build my second B20 into a supercharged and turbocharged nightmarish monster.

Found this on ebay debating on bidding on it. bet I can find one in need of rebuild here in Europe for cheaper I hope.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare-Jud ... 500wt_1182

I prolly should start asking in the motor section for this bit of hardware.

Also here is the link to the company that is selling retrofit solid state distributor systems from Uk I'm going to get one and try it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-Am ... 499wt_1161

If anyone is curious the valve cover was of the powder coated version I sanded it smooth and polished it along with the intake the filler cap I made myself from stainless steel I filled it with stainless steel steel wool and welded it up polished it and then steam cleaned it so there was no polish left inside.
Gunnar S

Post by Gunnar S »

Those Judsons must be pretty rare in the states and even more rare in Europe. BID!
What was the initial purpose for those? Cabin pressure in fighter jets? Or Was it originally made for breathing aid on cars?

Mounted on your set of wheels, it's gonna make you go 200mph, without any wheels on...
Naw, im just getting exited.
Over 6000skr, hmm...
Go for it! Have fun. Eat porridge for six months.

8)
Pappa hade en röd 122 S & fullgasrytet ur dubbla SU var min första musikupplevelse
Yankeebastard

Post by Yankeebastard »

Gunnar S wrote:Those Judsons must be pretty rare in the states and even more rare in Europe. BID!
What was the initial purpose for those? Cabin pressure in fighter jets? Or Was it originally made for breathing aid on cars?

Mounted on your set of wheels, it's gonna make you go 200mph, without any wheels on...
Naw, im just getting exited.
Over 6000skr, hmm...
Go for it! Have fun. Eat porridge for six months.

8)
hahahahahahah! yep porridge it is I messaged the guy on ebay I have a couple WWII items in my collection that are worth more than that I am going to sell them so I can get the supercharger, I am looking at a set of original rims and tires in good condition so I can drive it around but I am going to take the original and widen them to 8 inch like I saw on another amazon in the forum I am lucky a friend of mine is one of the welding teachers in Sandviken I am going to give him a call and see if we can use my car as a class project to show them how welding is done in cars I have worked as a welder here for many years and made many custom tig welded stainless steel parts for people so for me this is fun fun fun my friends back home are super curious too as when it is finished I will be sending home I never saw one of these until I came to Sweden and I fell in love with the body style instantly. I think I will tig weld quite a bit of the repairs and post photos as I have read on this forum peoples opinion about it and frankly welding with a tig vs a wirefeed is like the difference between a sniper and a machine-gunner so so different quality and consistency.

I'll post more photos soon and my list of car parts up for sale or trade.
Gunnar S

Post by Gunnar S »

Sounds good. Speaking of curiousity. I know that old Volvos are pretty popular "over there" and as a member of the H.A.M.B. I can vouch for a widespread interest in swedish real steel.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=277235
That's a great idéa to use your car as a welding object. Just mark it up so them (juvenlie;-) delinquents won't weld the doors for ya...
Keep posting and share your struggle.

BTW: Welcome to the forum!

8)
Pappa hade en röd 122 S & fullgasrytet ur dubbla SU var min första musikupplevelse
Yankeebastard

Post by Yankeebastard »

I got in touch with the seller of the supercharger it's MINE! :D :shock: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :!: :mrgreen:
Yankeebastard

Post by Yankeebastard »

Quick Update I scored 4 14"/6 3/4" wolf-race (the ones on the left!) with ok rubber,new inner fenders and I am contacting someone who has my spare tire well and rockerpanels today, now it is dropped suspension I am not going to do much to the body as this is going to be a daily driver me is thinking to get another 2 door I found locally and redo the body correct then do a total swap of all the good bits off this who knows, in the mean time I have found dropped springs from UK for 118 pound (http://www.e-parts.co.uk/product.asp?productid=103389) if shipping is cheap I will get them instead of order from here for what 1800skr? and KYB gas ajustable shocks from the US for 150 bux for all 4! still cheaper to buy and ship here than to buy here unless someone knows something I don't! (http://www.racepages.com/products/index ... =10&Npp=10)
Well here is a photo of the wheels should be here by the middle or end of next week!

Looks like I will get 20 new wheel studs that are much longer and bigger diameter wheel nutz (say 3/4 inch) as to not have to deal with the special made bullshit and imagine this sleeves to set between the stud and wheel! Countdown starts I have untill the 19th of OCT. to have the car out of the garage it is in now. I know I problay wont get the rocker panels done or the spare wheel in but the springs shocks and front inner fenders are a must we'll see if things fall in place got 2 other guys who want parts from me I think I will offer them parts in trade for extra hands as to get this bucket running enough to get it up here!

And to Gunnar I have been cheking out the HAMB site loving it!

ALSO some bad news somebody outbid me last minute on the supercharger oh well no biggie I just found an aftermarket supercharger that I can bolt on for less than 2000 USD I may go for that as it will be easier to get parts for etc.. but this will be something to add on later, time to just get it mechanically sound!

I may have located shop space too here in Gävle now it is to get these to young wannabe car nutz to split it with me and we can build some Amazooms!

More Soon!
Yankeebastard

Post by Yankeebastard »

been checking out other peoples builds and decided to make my own troskaller? and spare wheel tub, so the deal is if? I want to get the klub insurance I can't change the body lines much eh?