B16 or B18? Differences in driving characteristics?

Visa din original-amazon. Allt från objekt till pärla. Moderatorer
timbra

B16 or B18? Differences in driving characteristics?

Post by timbra »

Hi, I´m Tim from south of the south of Germany. Sorry, I only can write in english, and, sorry no.2, my english isn´t good! Please forgive for that.
I´m restoring an 64´Amazon and I´m almost ready. Only the interior and some peanuts are absent.
Now my brother wants a new project and we are looking for some Amazones in Germany. We found 2, both are neither bad nor really good, but we love to restore and so it´s o.k. One is a B16 and the other an early B18.
Now we think about what is the better one. We think it doesn´t matter if its a 6V or a 12V and if it´s a little bit slower, but we puzzle about if the driving characteristics of the B18 are better. If it´s only a little difference, the B16 would be our first choice, because we love the old details. But if it is really better to drive a B18, we choose this one.
Now you can say we should visit and inspect both and than we will see... but its really a long way to both cars, so we need some help before we start.
Are there other vantages to say " choose the B18"??
For your help I´m very thankfull.

Have a nice time with your cars and say a hello from tim to them!
Shift

Re: B16 or B18? Differences in driving characteristics?

Post by Shift »

I would choose B18, because i'm lazy, and it's easier to find parts.
Det som inte går att laga går att skruva sönder
Telis

Post by Telis »

The b16 is a really nice car both to drive and look at :) Not always that easy to find some spareparts, but the common parts would not be a problem.
Take a look at the b16 :D
/Henrik
volvodriver

Post by volvodriver »

Hi,

do you have any pics of the B16 car? Would be great to see such a model driving outside Sweden.

Best Volvoregards
from Volvodriver
timbra

Post by timbra »

if you tell me how to load it up...
timbra

Post by timbra »

Its a green one, the interior is very bad, much to do
and, I cannot load some pics from my PC!
timbra

Post by timbra »

timbra

Post by timbra »

AAAhhh! thats it!
timbra

Post by timbra »

volvodriver

Post by volvodriver »

Wow, looks great! Seems that you do not have to do much work on that car. Where do you live?

Volvocheers from
Volvodriver
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

A solid looking car, absolute beauty, amazing chrome.

You mentioned that the interior is in bad shape, how much of it needs to be replaced, the seat clothing, the dash panel, inner roof, the grey rubber-floormat?
The grey original floormat is very difficult to find in any condition, thats one thing that I am currently looking for for my b16 car.
What year was the car made? And is the price "ok"?
Amazon 4dr -61 B16, M30, 6V. Patina!
timbra

Post by timbra »

chrome is good, but nothing else! Interior is very bad, many loss by rust, you must look on it with longer distance. The price is o.k.
But how is it to drive? Is a B18 better to drive?
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Well, if you are in a hurry a b18 is better. :lol:
The construction of the b18 is very very robust, it is hard to kill, I guess it is one of Volvo's best engines.

I have had cars with both engines, and the b16 is a bit weaker, but it isn't as slow as I had imagined.
Mine has a m30, 3 speed gearbox. With a m40 (4-speed) it might work even better.

The B16 amazons (I am referring to the single carb 60hp b16a engine) are a bit slower than the later ones with b18's.
But personally I like the feeling and the look of the older models so much that I don't care if the engine is weaker.

And I really like the b16. It isn't all that fast but it gets the job done and I feel that I got something that isn't just anybodys property.

I am so sorry to hear that the B16-car's interior is in bad shape. My car is the exact opposite, interior is in good shape but the body needs some work.

How's the other car you are thinking of buying, the one with a b18?

Take your time to decide which car to buy. Consider all aspects, the engine is a big part of it, but so is the "look" and "feeling" of the car. Good luck with your buy!!
Amazon 4dr -61 B16, M30, 6V. Patina!
Nalletill1000

Post by Nalletill1000 »

Hi and welcome.
I have no first hand experience of the B16 so I cannot give you any recomendation but numbers show some lack in HP. However, a friend of mine claims that B16B is very under rated and up to par with any other sport version from Volvo. If power is lacking to you likeing you can always convert the car like this Norwegian member did http://amazon.forum.bilia.se/phpbb3/vie ... 1&start=90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyway good luck with your project.
You can't fix stoopid. There is no medicine, surgery, or class you can take to fix it. _Stoopid_is_forever_ (Ron White in blue collar tour)
Amazon

Post by Amazon »

In my opinion newer B18 models are much more comfortable to drive, especially 65-70. But the older ones are more beautiful.
Volvo P1200VB 1958